Monday 28 November 2011

Review: Vovo Telo

Vovo Telo, Lynnwood
Where: Lynnwood Bridge Shopping Centre, Lynnwood Road, Pretoria


Contact: 012 348 0890


Opening times:
Monday - Friday: 07h00 - 19h00
Saturday & Sunday: 08h00 - 17h00


Price range: 
R30 - R80


Good for: Coffee dates

Vovo Telo is a special place. I was introduced to it by a friend who wanted to purchase the pencils that are sold at the cafe. Vovo Telo sell pencils and t-shirts branded with their logo and interesting one-liners. I recall one of the pencils had this: "I will have my cake and eat it". I thought that was clever and would have paid more attention to the rest of the pencils and the t-shirts on display but I was extremely distracted. I was distracted by the bakery. I just saw dozens of pastries and fresh breads then I completely zoned out. 


When you walk into Vovo Telo you will immediately notice how amazing the place smells. It's all the baked goods of course. When you eventually snap out of it and have a look around you will observe how Vovo Telo seamlessly creates a relaxed and artsy vibe. Vovo Telo has paint stripped tables and art pieces all over the place to assist in that sense. 


They kind of apply the same artisan appearance to the food as well, as you will see below. I ordered a Chicken Pecorino on Panini bread (R29) and a Bos Ice Tea (R16). I have also on different occasions ordered a Tiramisu slice of cake, a little Lemon Meringue Tart (R10) and some almond cake with a French name. I will continue to recommend this place because I actually dislike most meringues and tiramisu, however, when I tasted both of them I actually smiled because they are so good. If you go there are lunch time they also have their popular thin crust pizzas on offer, so I suggest you try that. 


Now have a look at the food: 
Chicken Pecorino on Panini Bread
Tiramisu
Lemon Meringue and [Insert French Name]
Overall service was okay, not great. I found the waiter took a bit long with things. Maybe that was because I sat outside, I don't know. 
I do find it a bit weird that a place like this is actually a set of different branches. I often find restaurants lose their ability to charm people with their food when they cater for many. It's that whole franchise-disgusting food thing (like Cappuccino's!) Vovo Telo has a branch in Johannesburg, two in Port Elizabeth and they are opening one in Parkhurst soon. So I do suggest you check them out if you cannot come to the Pretoria Branch. To find out the exact location of the other branches I suggest you check out their website (click here).


Do yourself a favour and visit Vovo Telo!