Saturday 19 November 2011

Stupid Things I Used To Believe When I Was A Kid (Part 1)

I was quite a crazy child back in the day. I don't know where I got off thinking most of the things I did. It must have been a combination of an over-active imagination and watching weird things on TV. I tried to illustrate three whack things I used to think.

1. The moon followed me and I was special enough for it to follow.

I used to think the moon followed me at night. This thought was normally triggered when I was in the car with my brother. We used to hide in the car, pretend the moon couldn't see us then pop up and say, "Look it found us again!". We were young, okay? I did think I was important enough for the moon to follow for some reason. I didn't ever consider that it followed anyone else. 


2. I was important enough to change the alphabet and its structure (and I believed that toys are the ultimate declaration of love).

I actually wrote this love letter when I was pre-school. I want you to observe how I wrote the first letter of my name, the "Y" at the bottom. It's not the heart you should be paying attention to, it's the orientation of the "Y". I really liked this boy so much after I got this letter. I think I got marked poorly in pre-school because I kept writing my "Y"s flipped horizontally. I did this because it almost looked like a "K", the first letter of the name of the guy I liked. I knew what I was doing when I wrote it like that. The power rangers toy is long gone. 

3. Whenever my mom switched off the lights then ghosts, demons, Chuckie and ninjas would pop out of the ceiling and ground.

I think this pretty much happens to everyone who is/was afraid of the dark. I mentioned that I used to fear Chuckie. This is only after I watched 10 minutes of it, up until he throws the girl's mom out of the window.How did I get over being so scared of the dark? I told my mom what I was afraid of. See before I did this I just used to chill in the darkness seeing all kinds of horrors until I was sure she was in her bedroom. Then I had to make the fastest dash known to mankind to the light switch (so that all the creepy things wouldn't get me). Often times I would run with my eyes closed which resulted in some nasty falls. One day I plucked up the courage and told her why I was afraid of the dark, she just understood I was afraid of the dark and I would eventually get over it (that's why she insisted that the lights be turned off). I even remember drawing a picture of one of the creatures* for her. She gave me stick, specifically a cooking stick, so that if I saw these things I could beat them away. It worked.


*the creature I was afraid of was featured in Dexter's Laboratory. Not the scary episode where the fish died but in the G.I.R.L Squad episode when Dee Dee and her friends try to stop crime in their neighbourhood and created a mess. There was this shadowed guy that they followed for the whole episode. He was the creature.