Thursday 3 November 2011

Review: L'épis Doré


Where: Greenlyn Village, 13th Street Side, Menlo Park, Pretoria (directions)


Contact:012 346 7853 


Opening times:
Monday - Friday: 07h30 - 18h00
Saturday - Sunday: 08h30 - 15h00


Price Range: R40 - R90


Good for: A date or girls' outing

L'épis Doré is a French restaurant, expect plenty of freshly baked pastries and baguette. When you walk into the L'épis Doré you are greeted by the scent of lavender and french furniture both of which I love. There is a kind of peacefulness about the place, especially because most of the tables are outside in the gardens. When we went there we were placed in a separate pavilion that had a miniature waterfall. I do suggest going when it is a nice, sunny day as alternative seating lies within the restaurant which houses the bakery. I guess that setting would be preferable during winter. 


I've been to L'épis Doré twice and both times I've ordered something different. The first time I went there I ordered Pavot Poulet (pictured below). It was the best R63 I have ever spent on a baguette. The potato salad on the side also made me quite happy.




The second time I rushed straight to the bakery and ordered two Pain Aux Raisins (R13.90 each). L'épis Doré adds a custard filling to it and I was made aware of this by the owner of the cafe. He was sitting at a table by the till. On both occasions that I visited the service was average. The waiters did take a bit long with orders and picking up dishes. The owner was really helpful in explaining what to get while I was at the bakery section of L'épis Doré.


I do recommend a visit. Perhaps a leisurely visit with the girls, or a date (because I did note there were quite a few couples there) or even taking out your mom for a treat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment